Feeling uninspired . . . stuck in a rut . . . that your life seems to be going nowhere?
If that resonates with you, chances are a.) You don’t really know what you want, or b.) It’s not important enough for you to do anything about it.
Let’s tackle the first point: You must know what you really want. If you don’t have a clue, then you are saying you don’t value anything. However, few of us would admit to that. If you value your life at all then there must be a few things that are very important to you. Values are your highest needs for self-fulfillment – your hopes, aspirations and expectations. Take some time to think about them and make a list. If you become emotional about them, then you are on the right track.
On the second point: Decide if it’s important enough to take action. What you most value or aspire to will never happen unless you take the initiative to make it happen. This is such common sense it’s amazing how many of us don’t recognize this. Life owes us nothing. We have to take ownership of it or it will turn out no better than what we put into it. it’s really your choice: either live it to the fullest or waste it away.
So why is it so easy to get sidetracked to doing what is most important? Why do we so often find ourselves stuck in the ditch with no way to get back out of it? There are many reasons but here are some key ones to reflect upon and consider changing in your life:
- YOU DON’T HAVE A PLAN: Once you decide what is most important and where you want to go, you need a roadmap to follow. Living in the present is good, but only after deciding what you want your “future-presents” to look and feel like. Create a path to follow and stay on it.
- YOU’RE STILL WAITING FOR TOMORROW: Again, there is no time like the present. This is when things happen. Procrastination kills the spirit and derails motivation. If you say you will do something when the timing is right then you will never do it. There are always excuses but the bottom line is they will never get resolved to your satisfaction. If you wait for the perfect timing, then you will always be waiting – never doing.
- YOU LIKE BEING IN THE COMFORT ZONE: Taking action means change. And if you don’t like change then you will never move forward. You might feel that what you are giving up is a loss, but that is where you have growth and positive self-renewal. It may seem difficult at first to give up your comfort zone but once you move forward you will not miss what you left behind.
- YOU DON’T BELIEVE IN YOURSELF: This is self-sabotage at the extreme. If you don’t believe that you have the right or the worthiness to design and live your own life, then someone else will do it for you. In fact, if you don’t believe in yourself no one else will either. Negative self-talk is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Having no confidence leads to failure, but a positive self-belief will lead to success. Whatever you say to yourself creates that reality. You are free to choose either so choose wisely.
- YOU HAVE THE WRONG INFLUENCES: Look around and see who is impacting or affecting your life. Are you hanging out with the wrong people? Are they pulling you down or draining your life energy? If your circle of friends has low expectations, you will subconsciously adopt their attitudes and beliefs. You must find better role models or consider a mentor that you respect. Most successful persons will state that modeling themselves after someone they really admired made all the difference in their own life achievements.
- YOU MISTAKE “BUSYNESS” FOR PRODUCTIVITY: The proverbial treadmill requires effort but goes nowhere. In today’s fast-paced world, we deceive ourselves by working longer and harder but often find it leads to more stress and little else. When we only respond to our daily urgencies, we seldom find we did what was most important. Ask yourself if you’re just going in circles or are you spending quality time supporting what you most value. This is also the key to life balance – move away from meaningless activities and move toward those that are more rewarding.
- YOU’RE NOT RESPECTING YOURSELF: Are you spending countless hours in front of a TV or at a computer monitor surfing the web or playing video games? Are you ignoring sleep, exercise and healthy eating habits? Are you mindlessly going through the same daily routines without any regard to improving yourself? If so, you are disrespecting your talents, your mind and your potential. At some point, you will look in the mirror and not even recognize who you are. Decide now if you want to reach old age and regret the missed opportunities you could have made for yourself.
- YOU HAVE NO PASSION: At some point, you must ask yourself what you are passionate about. And once you discover your passion, you will know your purpose. Dig deep to discover what stirs your soul. Life is not meant to be lived on the sidelines so acknowledge what really lights your fire and begin to live it. While you may have buried your passions deep inside you, they are still there. You are free to bring them forth again.
Make today a new beginning. You don’t need to remain in the rut or feel resentful about how your life is going. It’s all about the attitude you adopt and your willingness to make changes. Your only obstacle is your own mind. Think differently and you will begin to change your life.